Earlier this year, a new partnership was formed between two unlikely players; the leading online retailer, Zappos and Beautify Earth (BE), a non-profit determined to offset urban blight through public art. Bridging sectors, the two partners came together to launch the “Delivering Wow Mural Tour” in 10 cities across the nation, nominating local artists to interpret Zappos’ 10 core values such as, “Embrace and Drive Change” and “Be Humble.” The murals were created on buildings in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Miami, Chicago, Austin, San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Gaia, a New York City native, created this featured mural in Williamsburg on N8 and Bedford Ave. The “Five Bronze Mercuries,” as Gaia named it, is his depiction of the Zappos value #9. Be Passionate and Determined. Gaia is a recent graduate of the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, Maryland and his studio work, installations and gallery projects have been exhibited throughout the world most notably The Baltimore Museum of Art, Rice Gallery and Palazzo Collicola Arti Visive. Gaia is listed in the Forbes 30 Under 30 list in Art and Style.
The murals for the “Delivering Wow Tour” were painted from May through August, and they just officially revealed all the murals on September 14, 2016. Each artist was hand selected as humble, up and coming creatives that represent the best of their city. Here is a full list of selected artists and the values they depicted:
- Deliver WOW Through Service – (Miami, Artist Angelino)
- Embrace and Drive Change – (Baltimore, Artist Cory Stowers)
- Create Fun and A Little Weirdness – (Austin, Artist Jade DMZL)
- Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded – Mural #1 (Los Angeles, Artist David Gilmore) Mural #2 (Los Angeles, Artists Ruben Rojas and Sel)
- Pursue Growth and Learning – (San Francisco, Amanda Lynn)
- Build Open and Honest Relationships With Communication – (Boston, Artist Zach Nolin)
- Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit – (Philadelphia, Artist Chroma Dolls)
- Do More With Less – (Chicago, Artist Matthew Hoffman)
- Be Passionate and Determined – (New York, Artist Gaia)
- Be Humble – (San Diego, Artist Trek Kelly)